-
April 16th, 2003, 10:17 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Do any of you know what features are missing from the lower end version of this program?
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 18, 2003 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Super-8mm ]</font>
-
April 16th, 2003, 10:36 PM
#2
Inactive Member
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 30, 2003 05:20 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font>
-
April 17th, 2003, 05:09 AM
#3
HB Forum Moderator
What are we comparing?
There's Mac I-Movie. Then there's FCP 1.25, 2.0, 3.0 and soon there will be FCP 4.0
-
April 17th, 2003, 01:29 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I think he meant to compare FCP with FCPExpress. FCP express is the "lite" version of FCP
-
April 17th, 2003, 05:24 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I am wonder what features were left off the Express version that were on the last full size Final Cuts Pro. I think that would be 3.0 or 3.5? I am not trying to compare it with the new 4.0 version.
-
April 18th, 2003, 04:34 AM
#6
HB Forum Moderator
Well I have good news, but it could be outdated news. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
When you buy Final Cut Pro Express for $299 (is that the right price?), you can upgrade to Final Cut Pro for $699 instead of paying full pop of $999!
So it's a win win situation. If you don't need the extra bells and whistles, you don't upgrade from Final Cut Express. If you do decided to upgrade, then you still end up paying the same for FCP-3 as someone who buys FCP-3 from the start!
The bad news is now that FCP-4 is coming out, I don't know how FCP-Express will be affected as you probably won't be able to upgrade it to FCP-4, or maybe you will, who knows?
FCP-Express is an excellent way to learn, then upgrade when necessary. The primary thing missing is no HI-DEF editing capabilities, less key-frame capability, and less sub-menu choices.
-
April 19th, 2003, 07:22 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Thanks.
The advantage of getting good at Final Cuts Pro are better hire ability, than some of the other good programs that are not used as much commercially.
-
April 21st, 2003, 05:51 PM
#8
Inactive Member
FWIW,
Just did a quick search on Mandy.com for "Fully paid" editing positions. Five offers for AVID editors, Two offers for FCP, THree for MEDIA 100 editors, and six for "Editor" non-specific.
-
April 21st, 2003, 09:29 PM
#9
Inactive Member
When I factor in available cash for a system and the fact I already have a Mac, going with a Final Cuts Pro Express seems like a good deal. If I had the 900.00 for the 4.0 then it would only be a few hundred up to a Avid, right? Getting the bottom of the line FCP Express for about $300.00, is a different story.
A Gail I work with told me her ex is doing more final cuts pro editing at a Avid house. ( I know this sounds like hear say but it comes from a good source.) The husbands employer did not necessarily wanted this to get out because they get more money being a Avid facility. In fact her EX was forbidden from teaching FCP at a seminar!
-
April 22nd, 2003, 03:56 AM
#10
Inactive Member
If "hirability" is your concern, Then AVID is the way to go. 95% of all features are cut on Avid. 90% of TV shows are cut on Avid.
Drop by Mandy.com to look at jobs in editing. FCP is used a lot by "indy" shops. (Lower pay, and they want you to provide your own system) While TV stations and ProCos will be looking to hire Avid experience. (The interface is the same for AvidXpressDvPro and Meridia or Symphony suites)
Either FCP or Avid will get you hired well before Premiere or Vegas experience though.
Cheers
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks